Cognosant is an automatic report generator and download client for use with IBM Cognos. It was primarily developed for use by Arkansas Public Schools running Cognos version 10, but is fully configurable and should work with other Cognos installations.
- Pulls live data from Cognos without the need to schedule reports ahead of time.
- Maintains a list of "Frequently Used" reports which can be downloaded with a single click or command.
- Runs with a user-friendly graphical interface or silently from the command line.
# Installation and System Requirements
While still currently in Pre-Release testing, the latest version of the Cognosant Installer for Windows is avaiable here:
Cognosant requires the Microsoft .NET framework version 4.6.1 or later (included with Windows 10 version 1511 and newer)
When running Cognosant for the first time, the initial configuration screen will prompt for the following settings:
- Username: Your Cognos username. (i.e. 1234JDoe)
- Password: Your Cognos password.
- Web Address: The URL of your Cognos server.
- Data Source Name: This can be found in the browser address bar immediately after logging in to Cognos. (Example: https://cognos.domain.com/SPI/SPI_To_CRN.asp?dsn=YourDataSourceNameHere&appver=4.08...)
- Overwrite Report URL: This setting determines if Cognosant uses the Web Address listed above instead of the IP address or URL specified within the report's direct link. This setting should normally be checked.
# Adding a Report
Before adding a report to Cognosant, you will first need to ensure that it is properly configured within Cognos:
- Click the "Set Properties" icon next to the desired report.
- On the second tab (labeled either Report or Query) set the following options:
- Default Action - Select "Run the report" to download live data from Cognos.
- Prompt Values - Click on "Set..." and specify the appropriate values.
- Optional - Check the "Override the default report options" box and set the report format as desired
- Click OK to save these settings and return to My Folders
- Click the "Set Properties" icon again next to the same report.
- On the General tab, click the "View the search path, ID and URL" link.
- On the "View the search path, ID and URL" box, highlight and copy the entire "Default action URL"
- Close the "View the search path, ID and URL" box.
If desired, you can now return to the Report / Query tab and modify the "Default action" and "Report options" settings. Once the URL has been copied, those values will not affect Cognosant. However, any saved "Prompt values" must remain set in order for Cognosant to function.
You are now ready to add the report to Cognosant
- In Cognosant, press the "Add Report" button.
- In the "Add New Report" screen, press the "Paste" link to paste the copied
"Default action URL" into the URL box.
- In the "Save to" box, enter the location to save the downloaded reports. If
you enter a directory path only, the Cognos report name will be used as the file
name. You can also enter a complete path plus the filename to be used in place
of the Cognos report name.
- Click OK
- Optional (but Recommended) Select the newlay added report and click "Download
Selected" to verify that the report downloads correctly.
NOTE: The "Enabled" checkbox determines whether or not the report is downloaded when using the "Download All" command. This allows you to keep reports in your list without downloading them in every scheduled pull.
# Command-Line / Scheduled Downloads
You can schedule downloads using the Windows Task Scheduler or script them in PowerShell by using the command line version.
To download all reports, run Cognosant.exe /all from the command prompt.
To download a single report, run Cognosant.exe ReportName from the command prompt. (Note: If the report name contains spaces, you must enclose the name in quotation marks. i.e. Cognosant.exe "Report Name" )
NOTE: Cognosant's settings are unique for each user, therefore any scheduled task must be run under an appropriately configured user account.
Legal: All product names and trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are in no way associated nor affiliated with this project or website.